Students will have three (3) minutes to present their “basic concept,” which must be based upon an original idea by the student. Students will be judged upon:
- Their description of the basic idea including technology, product and/or service;
- Their description of the “value proposition,” or why customers would use their product and/or service; and
- Their description of “the why” (Simon Sinek, “The Golden Circle” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOlfsR7SMQ What about their idea will create passion among the developer(s), customers, investors, and any other stakeholders.
After each student presentation, there will be a Question & Answer session with the Pack Pitch Judges – maximum of three (3) minutes.
- Students will be selected to compete in Pack Pitch based upon a Quick Pitch (30 second presentation) of their idea. Quick Pitch is limited to individual presenters who qualify as described below.
- Individuals selected to compete in Pack Pitch through Quick Pitch may form teams to compete in the Pack Pitch Competition, or compete individually in Pack Pitch.
- The competition (Quick Pitch selection process and Pack Pitch) are open to University of Nevada, Reno students enrolled during the academic year in which the competition is held and in good standing with the University of Nevada.
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits hours to be eligible.
- Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours to be eligible.
- Students not meeting either of the two eligibility requirements above may be eligible if they were enrolled according to the requirements above in the immediately preceding school year.
- University of Nevada students who enter the Pack Pitch Competition remain eligible to compete in any other entrepreneurship competition.
- The Competition Director reserves the right to refuse admittance or to remove from the competition any participant, and to change eligibility rules and requirements at any time, in his/her sole discretion.
There will be up to $10,000 in scholarships awarded to Pack Pitch winners, with $1,000 to individual competitors and $2,000 to teams of two or more (divided among team members), which are to be used to pay for future class enrollment at UNR, subject to the condition that the future enrollment must include a minimum of three credits from the following list unless a scholarship winner has already taken one of these classes:
College of Business
- ENT 401/601: New Venture Creation
- ENT 402/602: Entrepreneurial Finance
- ENT 403/603: Applied Entrepreneurship
- ENT 489/689: Entrepreneurship Internship
- ENT 493/693: Special Topics in Entrepreneurship (including Jump Start, Entrepreneurial Marketing and others)
College of Engineering
- ENGR 461: High Tech Enterprises
The scholarships can be utilized to pay for any other credits at UNR that are in addition to the three credits from the above list.
Selection process to compete in Pack Pitch: Pack Pitch competitors will be selected based upon a thirty (30) second presentation of their idea in Quick Pitch, which will be held on October 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM in AB 101.
Pack Pitch presentations: All Pack Pitch competitor presentations will be on October 21, 2017, beginning at 1:30 p.m in The Wells Fargo Auditorium.